Archive for June 2010
KG had a pretty entertaining post last week about almost dropping the “F bomb”… and I thought I’d share my story.
I’ll start off by saying that in general, I do have a bit of a sailor’s mouth. I’m working on it, since for the most part it sounds pretty trashy. But, in any job, I am usually quite professional and speak as such. Meaning, I do not cuss. I just don’t.
Until this past Tuesday, at least.
For those of you living under a rock, don’t read this blog, I work in customer service. More specifically, my place of employment sells women’s undergarments (and it doesn’t rhyme with Ricoria’s Becret).
Anyways, I had a customer, Sue (not her real name), come in with her daughter, Jane (also not her real name). They wished to return three bras which had, um, deflated. These are the kind with air pads in them to make push-up more prominent, and they were upset that the pads had popped. Normally I would have proceeded without hesitation…
Except for the fact that I could tell, by the prints, that these girlies were well over two years old.
Now I, personally, go by the six-eight month rule. I mean, it’s something that’s directly against your body, against sweat, several times a week (depending on how many you own), so the thing’s gonna stretch and turn colors. Ew. For the love of your girls, replace your bra more often than two years!!
I tried to tell the woman that these bras were very old and the plastic pads would wear down after a while and that bras don’t last forever and they should be replaced more often, no matter where you buy them. She wasn’t buying it and wanted them replaced. Okay, fine. She (obviously) had no receipt, so I could give store credit (ten bucks for each old bra) and let her put that towards new ones. The cheapest in the store were $20 each. She buys three… totalling $60. With her $30 credit, she still owed me $30.
Sue: “Well, I’m not paying $30 for THREE BRAS! That’s robbery!
Jaci: “Ma’am, this is all we can do. You can only exchange for the exact product, since the bras are so old, we don’t have the same kind anymore. These are the only ones available.”
Sue: “Well I won’t do it”
Jane: *bows head, blushing and looking mortified*
Jaci: “Okay, do you want them back?”
Sue: “No, they won’t be used. I want to speak to a manager.”
Manager: “This is our return policy, we can’t do anything else since there is no receipt. *continues to repeat what I said.*
Sue: “Well hasn’t this happened to someone before?”
Jaci: “No, people don’t return bras this old.” (well, it’s true)
Sue: “Well, what can you do?”
Jaci: “I can give you $30 credit and you can buy those bras. Or you can change your mind. That’s it.”
Sue: “Okay I’ll do it” (digs thru wallet) “But am I getting the old bras back?”
Jaci: “So you changed your mind?”
Sue: “No I want them back and to get the credit.
Jaci: *jaw drops, hand over mouth*
At this point I literally almost replied “are you ****ing kidding me?????” and “are” managed to sneak out. Seriously, who do some people think they are? And how do they get through life trying to scam people for every dime they can?? SERIOUSLY??????
I stopped myself and just said “No, you cannot.”
I managed to stand my ground and the transaction continued. I’ve had customers yell at me for stopping them from using expired coupons or returning worn or even stolen merch. But this woman… was bonkers.
So as a result, I propose we institute a new rule/law. One day a year, one person can tell one other person EXACTLY what they think of them. And no repercussions can result.
I would have used mine on her, for sure. What do you all think?
… thanks, Mom!!
1. What color are your socks right now?
its summer…there are no socks <– well said, Aunt T
2. What are you listening to right now?
Acoustic Lady G… trying to unwind, and this music and a glass of Reisling seem to work well for me!
3. What was the last thing you ate?
bag o’ popcorn, as per usual this time of night!
4. Can you drive a stick?
Kind of… Uncle Chuck took me for a ride in his standard Forrester back when Aunt Kris was 9 months along with Sam and he was called off to a business trip… ya know, just in case I had to taxi her to the hospital 😉 While I liked driving it, I certainly did not get the hang of it at that time… Sam, if you decided to come into this world early, you probably would have been born in the living room. Just sayin’…
5. Last person you spoke to on the phone?
Jon… wasn’t sure where he went tonight, and had to confirm that he went out for a few beers with the work fellas!
6. Do you like the person who sent this to you?
of course… she gave birth to me!
7. How old are you today?
8. What is your favorite sport to watch on TV?
Steelers Football…. obviously!!!
9. What is your favorite drink?
a dry Riesling or a pomegranate martini
10. Have you ever dyed your hair?
many many times!
11. Favorite food?
popcorn and most Italian food and any sort of stir fry I throw together
12. What is the last movie you watched?
Waking Ned Devine…. pretty interesting flick!
13. Favorite day of the year?
tossup between Christmas and my birthday!!!
14. How do you vent anger?
yell and/or clean… I will clean to the max if you get me mad enough!
15. What was your favorite toy as a child?
not my mother’s “Bridey” doll… I liked anything you could use to “make something” with… Play-Doh, Legos, and Lite Brite were pretty sweet… and what about the “Creepy Crawlers”? Sweet!!!
16. What is your favorite season?
17. Cherries or Blueberries?
18. Do you want your friends to e-mail you back?
19. Who is the most likely to respond?
20. Who is least likely to respond?
21. Living situation?
with Jon, Seth and the Libbster… love it!
22. When was the last time you cried?
Not sure, it’s been a while
23. What is on the floor of your closet right now?
mostly shoes… and carpet
24. Who is the friend you have had the longest that you are sending to
I’m posting this on my blog, so it’s going out to EVERYONE!!!
25. What did you do last night?
Watched Jon’s Golden Girls DVDs in memory of Rue McClanahan!
26. What are you afraid of most?
Things flying close to me… bats and birds freak me out!!!
27. Plain, cheese, or spicy hamburgers?
I like pepperjack cheese on my burgers, so a little of both!
28. Favorite dog breed?
I’m biased towards my Boston terrier roommate and my three-legged min-pin brother from another mother, Chase!
29. Favorite day of the week?
Any day that I’m not working… that changes often!
30. How many states have you lived in?
Just two… PA and NY
31. Diamonds or pearls?
32. What is your favorite flower?
… it’s YOU!!!
Apparently, you can submit any picture to thatsmyface.com and turn it into an action figure! Now, I know I’m just a big kid, but I would love to get/give this as a gift. How cool would it be to have your own action figure? Almost as cool as being a bobblehead, I’m sure.
These run at around $100, so they’re kinda pricey… I’ll have to pick a pretty special event to give this gift!
- Hi, my name is: Jaci
- But you can call me: Any form of “Jaci” that’s appropriate… Jac, Wacky Jaci, Jacattack, Apple Jacks, etc.
- Never in my life have I: been to the west coast
- My high school is: a lot nicer now then when I went there in 99-03. It was okay, but we never did anything too spectacular… like the class of ’10 did this year. Check out their lipdub for the Pens here
- When I’m nervous: Everything turns to warp speed… I talk fast, walk fast, tap my leg fast!
- The last song I listened to was: See above link… haven’t turned on the tunes yet this morning, but if you want to be technical, BEP’s “I Gotta Feeling” came on when I went to link to the PHS lipdub.
- If I were to get married right now: My mother would pee her pants… she’s wanted me to be married for some time now
- My hair is: grimy… I need a shower
- When I was 4: I played with the Barbie accessories (the house, the car, etc) more than I played with the Barbies themselves. Legos and the Lite Brite were way cooler.
- Last Christmas: was spent in PA with my family and friends!!
- I should be: Eating breakfast… mah tummy’s rumblin
- When I look down I see: the keyboard??
- The happiest recent event was: Moving in with the boys… 2 months is still recent, no?
- By this time next year: I’ll hopefully have a master’s degree
- My current gripe is: People who can’t/don’t do their jobs… the “I’m so helpless” act… ugh!
- I have a hard time understanding: how smokers tolerate their own smell/stench
- There are these girls: Who I’m still close friends with despite living over 500 miles away
- If I won an award, the first person I would tell would be: Jon, my parents
- I want to buy: more paint for the bedroom… a house at some point in my lifetime
- I plan to visit: Europe someday
- If you spent the night at my house: I WILL make you bacon and eggs in the morning. It’s my duty.
- The world could do without: morons
- Most recent thing I’ve bought myself: groceries
- Most recent thing someone else bought me: lunch at Panera
- My middle name is: Renee
- In the morning: I’m always awake early…. even if I went to bed late the night before
- Last night I was: watching the Golden Girls (RIP Blanche)
- There’s this guy I know who: is incredibly nice, sweet, and kind to everyone he knows… and has adorable dimples. And a good kisser 😉
- If I was an animal I’d be: a really playful dog, most likely
- Tomorrow I am: working, obviously… probably going to Rafferty’s after (who’s going??)
- Tonight I am: working!!!
- My birthday is: Nov. 15th…. and everyone knows it, I like to feel special that day!!
It seems as if I’ve blamed family members in the last 3 or so blog posts for random, silly quirks I have acquired. Might as well keep going.
Thanks to my sister, I’ve got the bug.
Laurie came to visit me at work this past Friday, informing me that she purchased two 24-packs of these crazy gum bands at the Crossgates Hallmark. After brushing aside the initial big sister reaction (“weirdo, I’m telling Mom”… kidding, kinda), she let me pick two to wear for myself. I got SO EXCITED at the choices!! I could pick between hearts, stars, sunshines, dollar signs, dog bones, and girl symbols. I picked the heart and the girl symbol… because I love being a girl? Immediately, I was hooked.
That Sunday, I was on a Silly Bandz mission! Hallmark in EGB was out of stock. I found a huge supply at Olympia Sports later on, and purchased dinosaurs and zoo animals and left the store feeling like a giddy ten-year old… probably because I had just stooped to that level after buying two packs of stretchy bands to wear and show off to my friends.
Actually, I’ve never even heard of these until I heard they were being banned in local schools just last week. This story reminded me of slap bracelets. They were banned from schools when I was in first grade (early 90s) due to them being a distraction in class. Then I remembered POGs in fourth grade (mid-90s). Since they were being stolen and kids cried when they lost the silly little cardboard discs in tournaments (suckaaaaas!), they were also banned. Tamagotchies (sp?) and Beanie Babies came along in the late 90s, but I don’t remember them ever being banned in school.
I’m curious as to what big trend my own kids will follow one day… and I will have to go on a wild goose chase for.
Which trend did you catch onto back in elementary school? Was it ever banned in school?